Supplemental State Aid (SSA) & School funding Policy
January 21, 2021
Email your legislators using our Legislator Look-Up
What You Can Do:
Contact the legislators who represent your school district. Ask them to set SSA within the 30 days outlined in law and for the highest amount possible. The legislature should continue its investment in transportation equity and continue the progress made last year by again decreasing the district cost per pupil gap by $10 per student. Districts are facing big financial pressures, so it is imperative the legislature fund schools at a rate that allows them to provide high-quality programming and have resources to cover additional expenditures incurred because of the pandemic.
Make your case by explaining what financial pressures you are seeing, including:
Post on Social Media:
- How did the school closures last spring impact student achievement?
- How has your budget has been impacted by the pandemic?
- Talk about the additional expenses your districts incurred to make your schools safe for in-person instruction.
- Explain how a decline in enrollment will have significant impacts on future budgets.
- What have you used relief funds for?
- What does your district need to provide a safe and healthy learning environment for students?
Use the hashtag #IASBLobbyDay
when you make a post on any social media. Let friends and legislators know you care about public education!